KDE 4.2 release announcement
Version 4.2 of KDE, the Unix desktop environment based on Qt 4, has been released. This release is believed to be the first release of KDE 4 genuinely suitable for the majority end-users, rather than the "casual users" who were the target of v4.1. Major changes:
- New and improved Plasma applets, which can be used in conjunction with the screen-saver
- Improvements to KWin to give "smooth and efficient window management"
- New archiver, power manager and printer manager
- Support for Arabic, Icelandic, Basque, Hebrew, Romanian, Tajik, Bengali, Gujarati, Kannada, Maithii and Marathi languages
- Improved SVG support in Konqueror
- Reworked email list views in KMail, and improved IMAP support
- Technology previews of Windows and Mac versions of KDE applications
See the visual guide for more information. The info page contains source and binary links (currently: Debian, Ubuntu, openSUSE and Magic Linux). You may be able to find build instructions here at TechBase. Requires Qt 4.4.